Job Planning Saves Money and Resources

Good job planning will yield the most significant savings in resources and money.project-12

It is a misconception that environmentally friendly printing costs more. This perception comes from the fact that recycled paper and FSC papers can cost a little more than less environmentally friendly papers. But that is only part of the story.

For example:

  • If you plan your job to fit on common sized press sheets you can save paper and reduce costs. For example, we had a $30,000 book job that was designed to print at 4" x 9.5". By changing the page size to 4' x 9" and modifying the bindery strategy, the paper use and print price dropped by 30%. The client saved $9,000 and we used less resources.  Speak with us as early as possible about your job plan to discuss the optimum configuration.
  •  

  • Consider using a lighter weight paper to print your job. If you change from a 100# book to a 80# book, you will save 20% on the cost of paper. When you combine using a lighter paper with a paper  30% PCW content, you are now using 50% less virgin pulp than the original plan saving money at the same time.
  •  

  • Don't mail newsletters and brochures to people if they don't want them. Make sure that your mailing list is up to date. Be sure to give people options to "opt out" of receiving your mailings or to receive mailings electronically. Anytime you print a multi page document at Community Printers we will supply you an eBook version of the publication that you can distribute to people free of charge.  Talk to us about how this service may help you.
  •  

  • Packaging design is an art. If you plan correctly taking into consideration standard paper and press sizes, you can cut down on much of the waste in packaging today. We love designing packaging and we know our presses and material sources. Come in and talk with us. Often the packaging that uses the least materials also creates the best experience for the consumer.
  •  

  • Consider "print on demand" models instead of printing in high volume and storing for future use.  Your unit cost will always go up when you print less pieces but you haven't saved anything if you end up paying for storage or throwing excess product away when the piece goes obsolete. We can review your print and distribution plan and look for the right balance that fits your needs.
  •  

  • Recycled paper doesn't always cost more. We have committed that all of our house papers will satisfy our sustainability goals. Once we determined the criteria for our house sheets, we negotiated bulk purchase agreements with distributors and mills. These bulk savings can and do exceed the potential up charge for using paper with recycled content. You can take advantage of our bulk agreements by printing at Community Printers. We use more recycled paper than all the printers on the Monterey Bay combined. That gives you buying power when you want to use recycled paper.